Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.

Does the IRS link SSN when claiming a parent as a dependen

Does the IRS link SSN when claiming a parent as a dependent?
Thanks for using JustAnswer!

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "link" SSN. If this answer doesn't properly address your question, please let me know.

If you claim a parent as a dependent, you must enter their SSN on your return. With their SSN on your return as a dependent, IRS computers will make it so that no one else, including the parent, can deduct the exemption for your parent in the year that you claim them as a dependent.

If this answers your question, please rate my service between OK Service and Excellent Service so that I can be paid. If you do not rate my service, I will not be paid. If this doesn't answer your question or you need some additional clarity, please reply to my answer so that I can assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If the IRS garnishes my SS check will they garnish her's also?

The IRS cannot garnish her income to satisfy your tax debt.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. SS told me that the IRS will take my SS check and hers because our SSN's are linked.
No, and if that does happen call a local tax professional to help get it back. That should not happen, ever!