Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

Is a stipend of $2,554.00 per month paid to a UN Volunteer

Is a stipend of $2,554.00 per month paid to a UN Volunteer working in eastern Africa taxable? The stipend covers food and housing accommodations as this is not provided by the UN. There is a separate hazard payment to the volunteer in the amount $550.00 and expenses are paid for travel to remote areas. Other than that, there is no actual pay for the services provided (services: stress counseling). All of this is clearly laid out in monthly statements.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
Salaries, grants and allowances paid by the United Nations are normally exempt from income tax.

"(18) International organization. The term ‘international organization’ means a public international organization entitled to enjoy privileges, exemptions, and immunities as an international organization under the International Organizations Immunities Act (22 U.S.C. 288-288f)." (e.g. United Nations, World Health Organization, World Food Program, etc.)
Subject to the provisions of section 1 of the International Organizations Immunities Act, remuneration paid for services performed within or without the United States by an employee for an international organization as defined in Internal Revenue Code section 7701(a)(18) is excepted from wages and hence is not subject to withholding of U.S. federal income taxes.
As you are a volunteer the stipend would not be taxable. Even if you were employed by the UN, as you are in service outside the US you are not required to report or pay tax on the income.

Best wishes for you in your volunteer work.

Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

CUstomer Service said you were not able to view in the CHAT mode. Here is a copy of my original message.

Robin D :

"(18) International organization. The term ‘international organization' means a public international organization entitled to enjoy privileges, exemptions, and immunities as an international organization under the International Organizations Immunities Act (22 U.S.C. 288-288f)." (e.g. United Nations, World Health Organization, World Food Program, etc.)