Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

for the last two years I have inventory on my balance sheet

for the last two years I have inventory on my balance sheet (small corporation with 100% ownershiP) Can I change back to cash basis system, without inventory on balance sheet? Is itfeasible?
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

In order to change back to the cash basis for tax purposes, you will need to get advance approval from the IRS. You can do that by filling form 3115, which is available HERE.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. Please take a moment to rate my response as "EXCELLENT" So that I may be compensated for assisting you today. If you need follow up assistance, please hit "reply" or "continue conversation" before giving a rating of less than "OK SERVICE"
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. Will I get in trouble (an audit) when filing this form 3115?
No - because you fill out this form BEFORE you file your tax return, and the IRS either approves it or denies it. If they deny it and you still change methods you will get an audit. If they approve it, then you won't get an audit for this reason and the IRS will be expecting to see the change.