Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

If I make 35,000 per year, file single with no dependents,

If I make 35,000 per year, file single with no dependents, go to school paying tuition of about 9,000 per year, will I owe taxes at the end of the year? I typically withhole 1%. Any answers will help me a great deal. I am considering taking a better paying job, which is the 35K, but it puts me in a higher tax bracket I believe.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
Based on the information you supplied, your tax liability would be estimated at $4700. You did not say how much withholding you have, so you would subtravt the withholding from the $4700. If you had more in withholding than tax, you would get a refund. If you had less than $4700 withheld you would owe when you filed your return.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When you say more in withholding than tax, are you referring to 401K or something to that effect? Can you give me an example?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
No, I am referring to the tax for federal and state that your employer withholds when you are paid. This rate was determined when you completed the W4 for withholding. Every time you are paid you have taxes withheld, federal, state, FICA.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay I understand, this is what I have for the same employer from a prior year. Wages = 28,733.24, Federal Income Tax Withheld = 3,244.50, SS Tax Withheld = 1.781.46, Medicare Tax Withheld = 416.63. I hope this information helps.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
It does not help in adding to your question. The answer would still stand that if you are single and you make $35000 with no dependents, then you will need to make sure that you have at least $4700 withheld in federal tax or you will owe at tax filing time.
Your actual tax bracket does not change as you were in the 15% marginal last year and will remain in same if you make $35000.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

And how can I ensure that $4700 is withheld in federal taxes?

Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
If you accept the new position, fill out your W4 as Single and 0 (zero) dependents.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your assistance!
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome!