Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant
Experience:  Vast knowledge within the accounting/tax industry

can an employee take a deduction for his dependants if he pays

Customer Question

can an employee take a deduction for his dependants if he pays the premium for his dependants
Category: Tax
Expert:  Dave CPA replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer,

You can exemption for your dependent if your meet the following requirements.

1. The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.

2. The person either (a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who do not have to live with you , or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).

3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $3,700.3

4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse, if filing jointly), (b) under age 24 at the end of the year, a full-time student, and younger than you (or your spouse, if filing jointly), or (c) any age if permanently and totally disabled.

3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year.2

4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

5. The child is not filing a joint return for the year (unless that joint return is filed only as a claim for refund).

If the dependents qualify then you can deduction exemption on their taxes.

Please let me know if you need further clarification before you rate my answer. A positive rating is what I strive for.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Dave CPA replied 4 years ago.
I'm glad you are happy. If you don't need anything else, and I have answered to your satisfaction, please provide a positive rating.