CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters

Can J1 visa holder file a federal tax return

Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

Not only can you file a tax return and,perhaps receive a refund, if your income exceeds certain levels which change each year, you are required to file. Visa status has nothing to do with this requirement.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please give more details. I want to know if what i did is legal or not
Expert:  CGCPA replied 2 years ago.
What you did is legal and required.
CGCPA, CPA
Experience: over 40 years experience in tax matters
Expert:  CGCPA replied 2 years ago.

Here is a statement from the IRS to help you see this.

Do I Need to File a Tax Return This Year?

IRS TAX TIP 2012-02, January 4, 2012

You are required to file a federal income tax return if your income is above
a certain level, which varies depending on your filing status, age and the type
of income you receive. However, the Internal Revenue Service reminds taxpayers
that some people should file even if they aren't required to because they may
get a refund if they had taxes withheld or they may qualify for refundable
credits.

To find out if you need to file, check the Individuals section
of the IRS website at www.irs.gov or consult the instructions for Form 1040,
1040A or 1040EZ for specific details that may help you determine if you need to
file a tax return with the IRS this year. You can also use the Interactive Tax
Assistant available on the IRS website. The ITA tool is a tax law resource that
takes you through a series of questions and provides you with responses to tax
law questions.

Even if you don't have to file for 2011, here are six reasons why you may
want to:

1. Federal Income Tax Withheld
    You should file to get money back if your employer withheld federal income tax
    from your pay, you made estimated tax payments, or had a prior year overpayment
    applied to this year's tax.

2. Earned Income Tax Credit You
    may qualify for EITC if you worked, but did not earn a lot of money. EITC is a
    refundable tax credit; which means you could qualify for a tax refund. To get
    the credit you must file a return and claim it.

3. Additional Child Tax Credit
    This refundable credit may be available if you have at least one qualifying
    child and you did not get the full amount of the Child Tax Credit.

4. American Opportunity Credit
    Students in their first four years of postsecondary education may qualify for as
    much as $2,500 through this credit. Forty percent of the credit is refundable so
    even those who owe no tax can get up to $1,000 of the credit as cash back for
    each eligible student.

5. Adoption Credit You may be
    able to claim a refundable tax credit for qualified expenses you paid to adopt
    an eligible child.

6. Health Coverage Tax Credit
    Certain individuals who are receiving Trade Adjustment Assistance, Reemployment
    Trade Adjustment Assistance, Alternative Trade Adjustment Assistance or pension
    benefit payments from the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, may be eligible
    for a 2011 Health Coverage Tax Credit.

Eligible individuals can claim a significant portion of their payments made
for qualified health insurance premiums.

For more information about
filing requirements and your eligibility to receive tax credits, visit
www.irs.gov.

Links: