Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

Someone damaged my car and is paying me cash for the damage.

Someone damaged my car and is paying me cash for the damage. My insurance company is not involved. Must I report this damage compensation as income on my tax return?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. No, this is not taxable income because it does not represent an increase in your net worth as a result of something you did. Rather, it is simply payment for a loss to put you in the position you were in prior to the accident. As such, it is not income and thus not reportable or taxable.

I hope this has given
you information that has been helpful to you. If the information seems more
general than specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to provide
information and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up
question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up
questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break
.

If you do have any additional questions about
my answer please click the "Continue
Conversation Link"
so I can provide you with a fully
satisfactory answer.
Please
be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive
no credit for my answers
.

Thanks for allowing me
to be of service to you. Please be aware that the information provided here is
not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws
and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not
intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does
not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has
been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience: 29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.