Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent
Experience:  MTax, EA, QuickBooks Proadvisor. Over 15 years accounting and tax experience specializing in individual and small business.

Iam a gardener and own a small company. I recently did work

Iam a gardener and own a small company. I recently did work for a client who rents out his property during the summer. The total work done came to under $600.00. I will not be doing any more work there this year. The relative who handles the estates affairs is claiming that I need to send them my tax id # XXXXX getting paid.Why would they need my tax id if the amount is under $600.00? She claims she needs it on file. Iam nervous about sending out any info if not needed. Karen

Stephanie B. :

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Many companies have made it policy to receive a W-9 from vendors before issuing the first check because you may go over the $600 and then they could have trouble getting the information required from you to send the required 1099.

Maybe you should consider getting a federal id number instead of using your SSN as your tax id number if identity theft is a concern to you.

Stephanie B. :

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel
the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do
everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I appreciate the opportunity to assist you and I look forward to your response.

Thank you,

Stephanie B. :