Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

I own a home with a basement rental apartment. What are the

I own a home with a basement rental apartment. What are the tax implications if I stop using it as rental property and start using it for a home office?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. The tax benefits are basically the same on the deduction side; on the revenue side, you obviously will now not have the rental income. You will now report the deductions on Schedule C rather than Schedule E, but the result is pretty much the same. You will continue to get to depreciate the portion of the house attributable to home office and get the same deductions related to that percentage of the home being used for your home office...taxes, utilities, insurance, mortgage interest, repairs, etc.

I hope this has given
you information that has been helpful to you. If the information seems more
general than specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to provide
information and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up
question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up
questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break
.

If you do have any additional questions about
my answer please click the "Continue
Conversation Link"
so I can provide you with a fully
satisfactory answer.
Please
be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive
no credit for my answers
.

Thanks for allowing me
to be of service to you. Please be aware that the information provided here is
not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws
and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not
intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does
not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has
been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you! The office would not be for 100% of my business, only about 30%. Do you think it would still be tax advantageous?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

You're welcome. You must use the office regularly use part of your home exclusively for conducting business. So, if you use 30% of it for business, you could take 30% of the percentage for home office. But, if you only use the office as a whole 30% of the time, you would not be able to take a home office deduction for the office because it would not be used exclusively for business.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is Mortgage Interest only deductible on Schedule C? Would it be deductible on Schedule E, and is it deductible on any other schedule?
Thank you.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No...you can deduct mortgage interest and property taxes on Schedule A if it's not rental or home office.
Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience: 29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.