How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WebCPA Your Own Question
WebCPA, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 111
Experience:  Licensed CPA. 10+ years experience.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
WebCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently a speech-language pathologists in the TX area.

This answer was rated:

I am currently a speech-language pathologists in TX .. I am interested in opening my own business and becoming self-employeed via my own company...which doesn't exist as of yet... and being able to open and contribute to my own 401K program. I have read that I could contribute up to approximately 47K if I am the only employee..

Welcome and thank you for your question!

Obtaining an employer tax ID (or "EIN") is a relatively simple process that can be done by completing a Form SS4, either in paper, or as the preferred method, on-line. Here is a great link to the IRS website with information about when and why you would need an EIN, as well as how to apply on-line.,,id=98350,00.html

Once at this website, click "Apply for an EIN on-line" and it will guide you through the step-by-step process. Note the hours of operation are Mon-Fri 7am to 10pm.

If you have trouble with the link, simply go to, and type "obtain EIN" in the search box.

Regarding the retirement plan, if you decide to form your own business, you may want to consider something called a SEP (Simplified Employee Pension). A SEP is available to any size business and is easy to establish by adopting Form 5305-SEP. For 2012, contribution limits to a SEP-IRA are the lesser of 25% of the employees compensation or $49,000. Therefore, if your compensation through your newly formed business was $196,000, you could contribute $49,000 to the SEP-IRA. There are pros and cons to adopting any retirement plan, and I would advise reviewing some specific research prior to making your decision. Factors to consider are the size of the business, both in revenues and profit, number of employees, and compensation structure.

Here is a useful link to provide you with more information on a SEP plan:,,id=139828,00.html

Another great resource is Publication 4333, "SEP Retirement Plans for Small Business".

A slightly more detailed and technical research guide is IRS Publication 560, "Retirement Plans for Small Business":

As far as companies to manage the funds, yes Vanguard has a great reputation as a conservative and well run company. I can't speak for everybody, but none of my clients that use Vanguard have ever complained about them.

I certainly hope this has provided you with the guidance you were looking for today and as always, I am more than happy to help.

Kind regards,


WebCPA, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 111
Experience: Licensed CPA. 10+ years experience.
WebCPA and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience