Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters

Does an S-Corp get a 1099?

Do I need to issue a 1099 misc to an S-Corp? Does a pass-through entity like an S-Corp constitute a "corporation"?

Welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

An S Corporation is a corporation. It is bundled with a tax election providing certain tax benefits to its owners. However, like any corporation, there is no requirement to issue a 1099-MISC to an S Corporation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have heard that (unless some pending law is resealed) beginning in 2012, all payments to any corporations will require a 1099. Is this true?

At this point there is no provision requiring the reporting to most corporations. However, there are several specific exceptions to this. They are referenced in the instructions for form 1099-MISC at the following link:

The pertinent portion begins on page 2. Please also remember that rules do change so I recommend that you check the 2012 instructions which will be issued later this year. They will be available at