Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant
Experience:  Vast knowledge within the accounting/tax industry

I am Canadian citizen with green card who has lived in US for

I am Canadian citizen with green card who has lived in US for 30 years. I am receiving a Canadian inheritance. Do I have to pay taxes and what forms do I need to file. Also, I will probably file for dual citizenship in the next year of so. Should I wait a period of time because of the inheritance? Thank you

Welcome to Just Answer,

US tax law doesn't impose any tax on inheritances. So there is no tax due and no forms to file. For you reference you can refer to page 33 (bottom right) of the link below.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. Can you tell me what page on that PDF. Sorry, looked through it and wasn't sure. Once I get that, I will release funds. Thank you.

Thanks for the accept. It's on page 33 of the pdf. Below is an portion of the exert.

Gifts and inheritances. In most cases, property you receive as a gift, bequest, or inheritance is not included in your income. However, if property you receive this way later produces income such as interest, dividends, or rents, that income is taxable to you. If property is given to a trust and the income from it is paid, credited, or distributed to you, that income is also taxable to you. If the gift, bequest, or inheritance is the income from the property, that income is taxable to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We aren't receiving property we are receiving $$$. Does this mean we don't pay on the initial amount but we pay on the money it makes when we invest?

Cash is property. I think you are confusing property with real estate.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was. Thank you.
Have a good day. Please let me know if you need anything else. Dave