PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
64119565

if I sell my car to my father in NY state does he have to pay

if I sell my car to my father in NY state does he have to pay sales tax?
Welcome, THANK YOU for using Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

In order to better assist you, please verify if the city that your father lives in is New York City or another city in New York.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
another city in New York, I also live in another city in NY NOT NYC
Hello again,

Thank you for the information.

When purchasing a vehicle from an individual, the sales tax is paid at the DMV when the vehicle is registered. The tax rate on used car purchases in New York is four percent.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You did not answer my question about the sale of a vehicle between a child and a parent. I heard there shouldn't be tax on this transaction. Can you verify this?
The information that I referenced does not specifically address selling a vehicle to a relative, but I will check into the matter for you and get back with you shortly. Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I need to know about a vehicle sale between a father and daughter. Is this kind of transaction exempt from sales tax?
Hi from Just Answer. Only answering because of your relist of the question. Here in NY, a sale like you describe is indeed exempt from sales tax.

DTF-802 is the form you fill out and submit at DMV. Link: http://dmv.ny.gov/forms/dtf802.pdf.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer.

Experience: 35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.