DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Years of Experience in Business & Personal Taxes
50747609

my wife and i are retired,and live in costa over 6 months out

Customer Question

my wife and i are retired,and live in costa over 6 months out of the year. do we still need to file federal and ohio state taxes
Category: Tax
Expert:  DanielleCPA replied 4 years ago.

DanielleCPA :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer! I'm happy to help with your tax questions. Feel free to interject at any time if you need clarification.

As U.S. citizens, we are taxed on our worldwide income, regardless of where we are living - with limited exceptions that would apply to foreign wage-earners only. You're living in Costa Rica for six months of the year is a non-issue when it comes to filing a federal tax return. For Ohio purposes, if Ohio is your primary residence and Costa Rica is a second home, then you would still need to file an Ohio tax return.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
costa rica is our prime residence. we both have residence papers in costa rica. will that make a difference
If Costa Rica is your primary residence - then you would not need to file an Ohio tax return, assuming you have no income derived from Ohio. You would, however, still need to file a U.S. federal income tax return since you are a citizen and taxed on your income regardless of your residence.