How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask R. Klein, EA Your Own Question
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA , Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3374
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
R. Klein, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

is there a gov. agency to help find my 401k

Resolved Question:

is there a gov. agency to help find my 401k
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

There are generally several ways to locate information:
The best would be to contact your old employers. Due to mergers, bankruptcies, relocations, etc., it often is hard to located a former employer. If so - try to locate an old 401k plan statement to see if it contains contacts of the plan administrator - it might be a different financial company.
You may also contact several former employees and verify if they still have any records that will help you locate the administrative firm.
Most plans are required to file an annual "Form 5500." You can search these 5500's on some sites - for instance -
The Form 5500 should have contact information.

Check with The National Registry of Unclaimed Retirement Benefits and verify if you are listed as a missing participant. The registry is a nationwide database of abandoned or forgotten retirement plan accounts -


The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) is a federal agency created by the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA) to protect pension benefits in private-sector defined benefit plans - the kind that typically pay a set monthly amount at retirement. If your plan ends (this is called "plan termination") without sufficient money to pay all benefits, PBGC's insurance program will pay you the benefit provided by your pension plan up to the limits set by law. (Most people receive the full benefit they had earned before the plan terminated.)
PBGC provides search for lost pension plans -

Let me know if you need any help.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
is there a gov. gency to track or monitor my 401k
Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 4 years ago.

Since 401(k)s could have been managed by either a trust company, a bank, or even by your own employer, it could be impossible to locate the plan you participated in, especially if it was managed by your company itself.


As LEV noted, each plan is required to file Form 5500 with the IRS, but if you don't know the name of the plan, it will be impossible to find it,


The government does not keep or track private retirement accounts; that is your responsibility as the privacy freaks have made sure that the government stays out of that business as much as possible.


If your funds were rolled over to an IRA, then each year you have an IRA, the trustee is supposed to report the year-end balance to the IRS on Form 5498. You might check with the IRS(NNN) NNN-NNNNand see if someone has been sending this form to the IRS each year. You might not have received a copy because the trustee has an incorrect address, but at the IRS, these are kept by your SSN. So call them and see if there are any unknown Forms 5498 in your account.


Generally, if your company managed the 401(k), they likely transferred any balances to a private company before they closed.


Your last statements from this account should give you some clue as to where to start looking.




R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3374
Experience: Over 20 Years experience
R. Klein, EA and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience