Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters

I have a 501(c)(3) organization and our fiscal year is Sept

I have a 501(c)(3) organization and our fiscal year is Sept 1 - Aug. 31 of each calendar year. We filed a 990 form for the year ending Aug 31, 2009. We ceased operations in June 2010. I was informed by the IRS local office that in the fall of 2010, we were in good tax standing and nothing needed to be done. I recently received a notice from the IRS that we had not filed a 990/990-EZ return for the period ending on Aug. 31, 2010. I am confused on what to do to to address this issue. The organization has not been active, but I do want to do what is necessary to keep the status for the future. Can you please help me with this situation?? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX The employer ID number is XXXXX
Most tax exempt organizations are required to file a form 990-EZ, regardless of their income or assets. If the IRS has sent you a notice, then the government clearly believes that you are required to file a return for the 2010 tax year.

Pub. 990, Section A-B (Page 3-5), describe each form of organization and its filing requirements. However, it may be easier to simply file the From 990-EZ, rather than to try to figure out for certain whether or not you meet one of the exemptions, based upon your organization's activity and asset value.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. Your positive feedback to the website is appreciated. If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Didn't feel it was an answer, but a suggestion!

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

The answer is that in order to protect the organizations existence and tax exempt status for the future you are required to file the 990-EZ for every year. It is used to ascertain that the purpose for which the exemption was granted is not being dishonored. Additionally, having operations (or possible operations in the IRS viewpoint) subsequent to the August 2009 tax year further necessitates the filing.

Experience: over 40 years experience in tax matters