Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

i retired 1/1/08 and i will be 60 yrs old in october. i want

i retired 1/1/08 and i will be 60 yrs old in october. i want to withdraw all money from my 401k at my old employer. they will take out taxes and i don't think i have to pay a 10% penalty. do i have to roll over any or all of my withdrawal?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Because you are over 59 1/2 at the time of distribution - there is no 10% penalty.
However - the distribution from your 401k plan will be added to your taxable income.

That is up to you - if you want to use the money or to rollover to the IRA account.
If you rollover part of your distribution - that part will not be taxable.

When you take a distribution - the administrator is required to withhold taxes - unless you specifically ask not to withhold.
However - your tax liability will be determined at the tax time - based on your total income, filing status, deductions, etc.

I will estimate your possible tax liability if you provide your total taxable income and the amount of expected distribution.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
agi was less than $30000 last yr and distribution amt is approx $75000. tax rate is 20% only.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
state tax is my choice of %. i usually owe Va state taxes of approx $100.00.
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.

Assuming you are single, standard deduction, $30,000 gross income, no other deductions or credits - your estimated income tax liability would be $2600

With additional $75000 taxable distribution - your total income will be $105,000 - and expected tax liability - $20,300.

That means - your ADDITIONAL tax liability because of the distribution is estimated as $17,700.

Because of large taxable income - you are pushed into a higher tax bracket.

To reduce the tax pressure - I might suggest to spread the distribution over several years.