Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner

is ssid taxable

Customer Question

is ssid taxable
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 4 years ago.
Welcome, THANK YOU for using Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

I think you mean SSDI (social security disability insurance)? Up to 50 percent of your benefits may be taxable each year.

For the 2011 tax year, the base amounts are:

$25,000 if you are single, head of household or qualifying widow(er)
$25,000 if you are married filing separately and lived apart from your spouse for all of 2011
$32,000 if you are married filing jointly, or
$0 if you are married filing separately and lived with your spouse at any time during 2011

When Up to 85 Percent of SSDI Benefits Can be Taxed

Up to 85 percent of your monthly benefits can be taxable in the following cases:

If the total of one half of your benefits and all your other income for the tax year is over $34,000 if filing single or $44,000 if you are married filing jointly; or

If you are married filing separately and lived with your spouse at any time during the tax year.

For more detailed information regarding this matter, you can refer to the IRS Pub 915.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.