How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A client is a 100% owner of a C corp. He wants to make arrangements

Resolved Question:

A client is a 100% owner of a C corp. He wants to make arrangements for it to go to his 8 children upon his death. What steps does he need to take. Is this something as simple as having it indicated in his will the a certain amount of stock go to each child? Are there any tax consequences?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

Depending on the net worth of the client, the distribution to his children at his death may be subject to the estate tax. A net worth of over $5,000,000 is subject to the tax at this time. However, the rules do change so you will need to keep an eye on that.

Here is a short piece from the IRS about the estate tax. The rates can, at higher estate values, be monstrous. You should consider preparing a draft return now so you can review it with your client while he is still able to properly consider his options. Once that is done let me know a bit more and I will help you establish a game plan to minimize the tax bite. The article from IRS has links to other documents you should consider.

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

Estate Tax

The Estate Tax is a tax on your right to transfer property at your death. It
consists of an accounting of everything you own or have certain interests in at
the date of death (Refer to Form 706 (PDF)).
The fair market value of these items is used, not necessarily what you paid for
them or what their values were when you acquired them. The total of all of these
items is your "Gross Estate." The includible property may consist of cash and
securities, real estate, insurance, trusts, annuities, business interests and
other assets.

Once you have accounted for the Gross Estate, certain deductions (and in
special circumstances, reductions to value) are allowed in arriving at your
"Taxable Estate." These deductions may include mortgages and other debts, estate
administration expenses, property that passes to surviving spouses and qualified
charities. The value of some operating business interests or farms may be
reduced for estates that qualify.

After the net amount is computed, the value of lifetime taxable gifts
(beginning with gifts made in 1977) is added to this number and the tax is
computed. The tax is then reduced by the available unified credit.

Most relatively simple estates (cash, publicly traded securities, small
amounts of other easily valued assets, and no special deductions or elections,
or jointly held property) do not require the filing of an estate tax return. A
filing is required for estates with combined gross assets and prior taxable
gifts exceeding $1,500,000 in 2004 - 2005; $2,000,000 in 2006 - 2008; $3,500,000
for decedents dying in 2009; and $5,000,000 or more for decedent's dying in 2010
or later (note: there are special rules for decedents dying in 2010.)

For additional information, refer to Instructions for Form

References/Related Topics
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The business owns a restaurant that is leased out and operated by someone else. The annual income is about 36,000. The fixed assets are 180,000 (with depreciation of 120,000) and I would guess the property is worth about 400,000 if it were to be sold.

This is will below the criteria for estate tax.

There are 50,000 shares of stock with a par value of $1.00. Would the shares go to the children at the same basis?
Expert:  CGCPA replied 4 years ago.
The tax will, assuming all remains constant, be zero and a filing will not be required. The shares will transfer to the children at the book value at the date of your client's death. However, please remember that the estate tax includes all the taxpayers assets net of obligations rather than just the restaurant. It sounds like there will be no problem.
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience: over 40 years experience in tax matters
CGCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience