How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lev Your Own Question

Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 25584
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a disabled retired Army Veteran. Last year I applied for

Resolved Question:

I am a disabled retired Army Veteran. Last year I applied for CRSC pay and was approved retroactive to Mar 01, 2005. It was my understanding that I could file an amended tax return using IRS for 1040X. The local H&R Block office prepared the amended Federal and State returns for the years 2008, 2009, and 2010. I have already received the State of Nebraska refunds and today got letters from the IRS. One says "We are unable to process your claim for the tax period(s) shown above.
In Accordance with Section 61 of the IRS Code, gross income means all income from whatever source derived. Accordingly, income is taxable unless specifically excluded by law. You received a 1099R indicating that $32,389.00 from Defense Finance was taxable. We cannot consider your claim without a corrected 1099R from the payer indicating that your distribution is non-taxable."
The second IRS letter says: "Thank you for your amended return.
We have adjusted your account as you requested."
My questions are: 1. How far back can I request an amended return?
2. Must I contact DFAS and ask for corrected 1099Rs for each year back to my CRSC start date?
Please do not suggest I go to the local IRS office for help as I did that already and they never heard of CRSC pay and did not think I was entitled to file an amended return.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 3 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Please see for reference IRS publication 525 page 17 right column -

If you receive a lump-sum disability severance payment and are later awarded VA disability benefits, exclude 100% of the severance benefit from your income. However, you must include in your income any lump-sum readjustment or other non disability severance payment you received on release from active duty, even if you are later given a retroactive disability rating by the VA.

Special statute of limitations. In most cases, under the statute of limitations a claim for credit or refund must be filed within 3 years from the time a return was filed. However, if you receive a retroactive service-connected disability rating determination, the statute of limitations is extended by a 1-year period beginning on the date of the determination. This 1-year extended period applies to claims for credit or refund filed after June 17, 2008, and does not apply to any tax year that began more than 5 years before the date of the determination.


Generally you should be able to claim the money back from DFAS if you timely act before 31 December in the year you receive the severance payment.
As you did not do that - your only option to request the tax money back from the IRS.
When you prepare your 1040X form - subtract the lump-sum disability payment from your taxable income and make a reference to Publication 525 page 17 as above.

Attach copies of the following documents (do not send originals!):
--VA award documentation
--Separation orders
--DD Form 214 stating your severance pay amount before taxes
--W-2 from the year the taxes were paid.
--your original federal tax return from that year.

On the top of each page write: your name, SSN and the phrase "St. Clair vs. the United States."
If you do not feel comfortable dealing with the IRS - you may use any tax preparation service.

However - there should not be any issues if you act on your own.


Let me know if you need any help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There was no lump sum disability severance. CRSC (Combat Related Special Compensation) is the government entity paying my non taxable income in place of DFAS paying me taxable Army retirement pay.
Expert:  Lev replied 3 years ago.

If that was nontaxable income - it should not be reported as taxable.

If it was reported as taxable to the IRS - on form 1099R box 2a - you may contact the payer and ask for correction.

However - it is very unlikely that DFAS will agree to issue a corrected form.

Thus - if you want to claim that compensation as not taxable - you may apply to the IRS as I suggested above.

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 25584
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience