William Ellis, CPA
William Ellis, CPA, CPA
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in public accounting

How many years can a septic system and a garage be depreciated

How many years can a septic system and a garage be depreciated when they are business property?
Category: Tax
Expert:  William Ellis, CPA replied 4 years ago.

William Ellis, CPA :

Hello and thank you for allowing us at Just Answer to assist you. Well, it depends. These are considered fixtures, so, if you are the landlord, and this is residential rental property, you would depreciate them over 27.5 years. If this is commercial property, 39.5 years. If you are the renter, these would be considered leasehold improvements, and you could depreciate them over 15 years or the remaining life of the lease. Thanks, Bill

Hello, I am a customer service representative posting on behalf of the customer who is unable to view the chat. Please click on the 'Switch to Q&A' link at the top of the page to change the format of the page from Live Chat to Q&A so that the customer can access your reply and also please repost your reply as a new answer or info request. Thank you.

I didn't realize you couldn't view the chat. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks, Bill