Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Experience:  JD, LL.M in Business and Taxation, IRS Enrolled Agent. Expert in Business and Tax Transactions
59761513

foreign currency

Customer Question

foreign currency
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

Robin D :

Currency gains of $200 or less that arise from personal transactions (not for investment or business) are not taxable and losses are not deductible.

Robin D :

If this does not cover your interest please be specific when you reply before you click accept.

Customer:
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.
I have switched us to regular Q&A because your reply is not showing up in CHAT. Please post it again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have foreign currency from an inhertince from my Grandmother in Switzralnd in Swiss Franks and London in Pounds what are the tax consequences if I bring into the US? Should I levae it in the foreign currency? What do you advise? My grandmother was not a US Citzen and never lived here
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

If the amount is over $100,000 US and you are a US person (citizen or resident alien) then you must file Form 3520 to report the bequest. You will also need to report the foreign accounts if they have over $10,000 in them at anytime during the tax year.

You may also be required to file the new form 8938 (which unlike the FBAR 90-22.1 is filed with the tax return).

Leaving it or exchanging is up to you but the reporting will be mandatory if you leave the accounts open in the foreign countries.

If you have the amounts exchanged and moved to the US through your bank then you will not have a taxable event. If you bring the currency to the US on your own and later exchange you will be placed under the taxation I advised in my first post if the amount of the exchange rate is more than $200.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Because it was confusing
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

I advised what you are required to do because of the fact that you grandmother was not a US person. Whether or not you bring that currency to the US you may have reporting requirements based on the amounts in the accounts.

You asked should I bring the foreign currency to the US and I said if you do and then exchange for US dollars, if you have a gain the gain will be taxable to you if more than $200.

If you do not exchange for US dollars then you do not have a taxable event but you still have to report the inheritance using Form 3520 is you inherited more than $100,000.

I nor any other expert is allowed to advise you on what you should do with the money. We can only tell you what could be your tax consequence of the action you decide to take.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 5 years ago.

There are no tax consequences of bringing the funds to the US. The US does not tax inheritances from foreign persons.

As for reporting requirements, those are properly stated. If over $100K, you must report it. If you continue to have foreign accounts, those must be reported.

Any gain such as interest on the accounts is taxable in the US regardless of where the money is.

Summary: No tax consequences. In fact, keeping the money abroad will result in more reporting requirements on a yearly basis. This reporting requirements are informational and not for tax purposes.

Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Experience: JD, LL.M in Business and Taxation, IRS Enrolled Agent. Expert in Business and Tax Transactions