Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

If i have a property in Ireland which I am renting out whilst

Customer Question

If i have a property in Ireland which I am renting out whilst I am on temporary assignment elsewhere, am I entitled to substract a personal allowance from that prior to paying tax on the income?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 4 years ago.
Welcome, THANK YOU for using Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

1) Are you a U.S. Citizen or a green card holder?

2) Please clarify what you mean by personal allowance.

If you are a U.S. citizen or green card holder, you are required to report the rental income and you are allowed to deduct up to $25,000 in rental property expenses providing that your income does not exceed the threshold.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In asnwer to 1) No. 2) In UK (for example) even if you are outside UK working, but have rental property generating income in UK, there is a personal allowance which can be deducted before paying any tax. I wanted to know if it was the same in Ireland. perhaps since you are US-based, you are not able to answer this.

Hello again,

Since you are not a U.S. citizen/green card holder, I will need to opt out as I am not familiar enough with the UK tax laws to further assist you. I will release the question back to the question que so that a UK expert can assist you.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Was outside the area of expertise of the person who responded. i would just like to withdraw the question and not pay...this could clearly get complicated.