ShawnA
ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
Experience:  CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
15641319

Hi! I have been offered to work in Kabul for 12 months. Will

Hi!
I have been offered to work in Kabul for 12 months. Will I pay tax in Afghanistan?

Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX Strömsten

Randalltax :

If you are working for a contractor, there is no Afghan tax.

Randalltax :

You will pay US tax on your income, UNLESS you qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion.

Randalltax :

To qualify, you will need to be outside the US for at least 330 of any 365 consecutive days. So if you have a 12 month assignment, be sure you don't spend more than about 30 days in the US.

Randalltax :

You can exclude up to about $92K in wages per year. If the qualifying period is only partially within a tax year, you will get a pro-rated exlcusion amount in each tax year.

Customer:

Hi, How is "contractor" defined? The company I will work for is based in Dubai. I am a Swedish citizen. Thanks

Randalltax :

I will then opt out. My advice is for US citizens.

Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.

Live in Sweden but for less than 183 days? You are not considered tax resident and pay tax only on the income earned in Sweden.

http://www.cbh.com/services/international/Afghanistan.pdf

Please read page 4. It explains if you are or are not considered a resident for taxation purposes and the rates that apply.

If this does not answer your question please let me know. Also let me know if you have additional questions.

This is my full time job and I only get paid if you accept my answer. We work on the trust system at JA.

If you understand my answer and have no more questions, please accept and please leave positive feedback (if so inclined). Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear Mr. Adamo,
Thank you for your answer and the pdf-file. Just a question for clarification. The pdf-file states: "Non-resident persons are exempt from income tax if the person is from a foreign country that grants a similar exemption to residents of Afghanistan."

Do you know if Dubai is such a country? If it is, and I am resident there, it means that I will be granted exempt from income tax in Afghanistan?

Thanks and regards,
Henry Strömsten

Henry -

Dubai grants an exemption, so it will be "carried " to Afghanistan.

Please call me Shawn.

Experience: CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Shawn,

That's great. I am happy with your answer!

Kind regards,

Henry Strömsten

Thanks.