Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues

Stephen, when you said around 3% is this per annum?

Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 4 years ago.
Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Yes, per annum. But let me get the applicable interest rate. Hold on.

Here's a link to the "Applicable Federal Rates" for 2012.

The minimum short term rates are so low, ie. a fraction of 1% per annum, that almost any rate you want to charge would be sufficient.

Do you have a rate in mind?

What is your objective?

You might consider giving your friends an option or a first refusal, but to tie up your house for an unknown period of time, in exchange for such a small amount of compensation, would be a very favorable deal for them, but not for you.

What if their house doesn't sell? At a minimum, you should attach a time limit to the deal. Also, if you don't have any security for the note, situations change & there would be no incentive for them to complete the deal, except your friendship.

Please remember to click on the green "ACCEPT", or the "smiley face" as appropriate; that is the only way we get credit for our work, even if you are on a subscription plan. Feedback, if you have time and bonuses, where you think they are warranted, are always most appreciated. Before or after you ACCEPT, I will be happy to answer any additional follow-up questions you may have. Thanks again for using our service.

If you'd like to contact me again, in the future, just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question.