USTaxAdvising
USTaxAdvising, CPA
Experience:  US Taxation specialist.
58296935

How can I find out how much money my husband and I received

How can I find out how much money my husband and I received back on our income tax refund this year? My husband is claiming that we didn't get anything back and that we owe $1000 and for some reason I just do not believe him. He has all control over our finances. We were married in 2010 so that was the first year we filed together and we got over $5500 back . We now have a 1 year old child and a much higher mortgage. I was also working full time then and am now a stay at home mom so I thought that with all of these factors we would be getting back a much higher return. My husband told me that we are not getting anything back because he received a $8,000 raise last year and that when I stopped working to have our baby he changed his number of dependants from 1 to 10 for about 6 to 8 months so that he would get less money taken out of his pay check every week. I would just talk to him about it but I want to do some investigating first to confirm if my suspicions are true or not because I do not want him to think that I dont trust or believe him until I am 100% sure. Things just don't seem to be adding up for me and I don't understand why he would lie to me about this. I must add that my husband is in no way a greedy person. He is very good to me and he gives me anything I ask for so thats why I need to do this on my own first before confronting him.
Category: Tax
Expert:  USTaxAdvising replied 4 years ago.

OK - the best thing for you to do is request a transcript of the tax return. This will basically tell you everything about the return from income to deductions and the balance due or refund. Here is how to request the transcript.

You have three easy and convenient options for getting copies of your federal tax return information--tax return transcripts and tax account transcripts--by phone, by mail, or online.

The new online ordering method, Order A Transcript, is available and makes ordering simple.

You may also request transcripts by calling 1-800-908-9946, or order by mail using IRS Form 4506T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return).

The IRS does not charge a fee for transcripts. Allow five to ten days for delivery if you order online or by phone.

If the transcript does not provide all the detail you require you can request a complete copy of the return via Form 4506 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

There is a $57 fee for this service.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

If you are not happy please let me know and I can opt out to let another expert assist you.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,