How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7013
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is a Trust relatd question. When the surviving spouse/Trustee

Resolved Question:

This is a Trust relatd question.
When the surviving spouse/Trustee of B trust dies, who pays income tax on Trust's income such as interest, dividend or capital gains for the final year ? The Trust or the beneficiaries?

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 4 years ago.
Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Since in the final year of the trust, the income is distributed to the beneficiaries, the trust issues K-1s to the beneficiaries for the net income of the trust & the beneficiaries pay the tax.

Also, if there was a capital loss carryforward, it would be passed on to the beneficiaries in the final year of the trust.
Stephen G. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 4 years ago.
Please remember to click on the green "ACCEPT", or the "smiley face" as appropriate; that is the only way we get credit for our work, even if you are on a subscription plan. Feedback, if you have time and bonuses, where you think they are warranted, are always most appreciated. Before or after you ACCEPT, I will be happy to answer any additional follow-up questions you may have. Thanks again for using our service.

If you'd like to contact me again, in the future, just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question.