Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

This is a Trust relatd question. When the surviving spouse/Trustee

This is a Trust relatd question.
When the surviving spouse/Trustee of B trust dies, who pays income tax on Trust's income such as interest, dividend or capital gains for the final year ? The Trust or the beneficiaries?
Thanks

Dean
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 4 years ago.
Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Since in the final year of the trust, the income is distributed to the beneficiaries, the trust issues K-1s to the beneficiaries for the net income of the trust & the beneficiaries pay the tax.

Also, if there was a capital loss carryforward, it would be passed on to the beneficiaries in the final year of the trust.
Please remember to click on the green "ACCEPT", or the "smiley face" as appropriate; that is the only way we get credit for our work, even if you are on a subscription plan. Feedback, if you have time and bonuses, where you think they are warranted, are always most appreciated. Before or after you ACCEPT, I will be happy to answer any additional follow-up questions you may have. Thanks again for using our service.

If you'd like to contact me again, in the future, just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question.