Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

My 34 year old son is in federal prison and his federal tax

My 34 year old son is in federal prison and his federal tax return came to my address. What would be the best way to handle this check? It's for a little over $900. The check is only good for one year and he won't get out for 3 years.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

It would be the best - if you have a POA - Power of Attorney signed by your son - in this case - you would be able to deposit the check into your bank account.
If you do not have POA - you may contact your son - and ask for that.
If the check will expire - your son (or you with POA) may request another check from the IRS. The statute of limitation to claim a refund is three years - after that if not cashed - the money would be lost.

Would the prison give him a POA or do I get the form and send it to him?

You may use the general form - the issue is that his signature eon that form should be notarized. Most likely - there is a notary service in the prison - but you may contact the prison administration and verify.
Here are some forms you may use -