Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

How can my husband find out if his ex-wife amended their taxes

How can my husband find out if his ex-wife amended their taxes from a previous year? He thinks she did, but doesn't know who to go to, to find out.
Welcome, THANK YOU for using Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

The only way that he will be able to find out if any changes was made to the return is if he and she filed married filing jointly (MFJ). If they did file MFJ, he can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to inquire about the matter. He can also request a copy of the tax return transcript.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does this apply to both Federal & State taxes?
Yes. If they did not file MFJ, the IRS will not provide any information to him unless he has a Form 2848 POA on file or a Form 8821 Tax Information Authorization form on file. The same applies for the state, the relevant authorization forms will need to be on file if they did not file MFJ before they will release any information to him.