Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Experience:  JD, LL.M in Business and Taxation, IRS Enrolled Agent. Expert in Business and Tax Transactions

An individual moves to China in 2011. She needs her taxes prepared

Customer Question

An individual moves to China in 2011. She needs her taxes prepared for that year. She has a salary, interest, dividends, etc. in US dollars during her period of US residency. Subsequent to the move she was paid in Chinese currency. She has requested that I prepare her 2011 returns. What are her filing requirements in China? Does she have to report her US income with her tax filing in China? Does the Chinese income have to reported on her US return?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 4 years ago.
1. This is a US tax area. I know nothing of China tax filing.
2. Yes, her income in China is reported on her US return. If she paid tax in China, then the foreign tax credit will apply.
3. While I am not sure of tax filing in China, I am sure that her US income is not taxable there.
4. You will have to US a currency calculator to cover the income in China to US dollars.