How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2326
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was an Intel employee for 7+ years ( 1993 -2001) and received

Customer Question

I was an Intel employee for 7+ years ( 1993 -2001) and received stocks from the employee stock participation plan. my records have been lost so I don't know what the basis is for my stocks and have a need to sell some shares now. where do I start to reconstruct this information? Thanks, Faith.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

The first step is to contact your broker and verify number of shares and dates these shares were granted.

Most likely - if shares were vested - the fair market value was included into your income at the time of vesting - and that may be used as your basis. If you purchased shared below the FMV - the difference should be included into your taxable wages - so you may use the FMV as your basis.

Here is historical prices for the period (1993 -2001) you received shares -


I am attaching that information here for your convenience - Intel Corporation (INTC).xls


You also need to consider reinvested dividends that are also added to the basis.

and received stocks - see here -


Unfortunately - the most important part - re-created a record of purchases and number of shares - you would need to do on your own if your broker doesn't retain these records.

Let me know if you need any clarification.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Lev, If the unfortunate part that I needed assistance with. So while I appreciate your answer I'm really not better off then when I first sent in the question.
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.

There is no magic...

If you expect me to have a record of your purchase dates and number of shares - let be honest - your expectation are unrealistic.

Only you and your broker who recorded transaction may have such records.

As you do not keep records - your only chance is to contact the broker.


If you already contacted the broker and there is no records - you are out of luck - and may do your best to re-create these lost records.

When you will have a list - at least approximated - with purchase dates and number of shares - you may use historical prices I posted above to calculate your basis.


I completely understand your frustrations - and if the answer has no value for you - you may simply ignore it.

However - if you need any clarification or help with other tax related issues - you are welcome to keep posting.

Expert:  Anne replied 4 years ago.

Different expert here. I'm assuming that when you say your records were lost, you're speaking about your personal records.

If that's the case, then you can go back to Intel as they should have some record of the # of stocks you received and the cost, although it may take them a little while to compile the information, and they may charge you a little bit to get that information.

If I were you, this is where I would start.

If you already tried this route and it was Intel that misplaced your records, then you should follow the expert;s advice above.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This was helpful thanks.
Expert:  Anne replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome.....

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience