Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters

I want to make my business agent a power of attorney to handle

I want to make my business agent a power of attorney to handle all tax matters with the IRS. Where can I download the correct form? Thanks.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

The form you need is available at . The form number is XXXXX Here is some additional information to help you get this correct the very first time.

Topic 311 - Power of Attorney Information

You have the right to represent yourself or have someone represent you before the IRS in connection with a Federal tax matter. If you want someone to represent you before the IRS file Form 2848 (PDF), Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative, with the IRS office where you want your representative to act for you. Your representative must be a person authorized to practice before the IRS. Your signature on Form 2848 allows the individual or individuals named to represent you before the IRS and to receive your tax information. Refer to Topic 312, if you want to allow a person to receive your tax information, but do not want this person to represent you before the IRS.

For additional information, see Form 2848 Instructions and Publication 947, Practice Before the IRS and Power of Attorney.

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

Common Reasons for Power of Attorney (POA) Rejection

Form 2848

• Missing Representative and/or Taxpayer signatures or signature dates.
    Page 4 of Form 2848 Instructions gives requirement for the signature and date.
  • Line 3. Matters
    Non- specific identification of tax periods (tax matters), i.e. generalizations.
    Example: All Years, All future periods
    Page 3 of Instructions outlines several acceptable entries for the matters field.
    Example: 2009 through 2011 or 2009 - 2011 or 2009, 2010, 2011
  • If Box 6 is checked. Retention/Revocation of Prior Power(s) of Attorney
    Forms are submitted with Box 6 checked, however, no copy of the power of attorney is attached to identify the representative that is being retained. The revocation has the same years, periods and tax matters as authorized on CAF.
  • No designation shown.
  • No jurisdiction shown, applicable for designations A, B, C or G.
  • Title of employee of company being authorized not indicated.

Expert:  CGCPA replied 4 years ago.

You should also note that NY State uses its own form so, if you want the individual to handle those matters as well you will need to use. This will also be acceptable to NYC if needed.