Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues

I was told to have form 2848 sent if I am to speak for Mack

I was told to have form 2848 sent if I am to speak for Mack McCollum. I already have power of attorney but not on this form. Can I fax acopy of my power of attorney?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 4 years ago.
Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

You should be able to do so, depending upon what you are talking about. The IRS may want a POA that specifically mentions tax matters, but a general POA should cover you.

They have a checklist & it says "Get form 2848". Of course that is a couple of pages whereas your general POA will probably cover several. Many clients prefer to sign the 2848 verses having a copy of the POA sent to the IRS.

As I CPA, I prefer the 2848 also & when I explain to clients that I'd rather not give the IRS the general POA, they always agree. My personal practice is to never use the general POA without the client's specific knowledge anyway, so it really is no strain to get the 2848 signed.
Please remember to click on the green "ACCEPT", or the "smiley face" as appropriate; that is the only way we get credit for our work, even if you are on a subscription plan. Feedback, if you have time and bonuses, where you think they are warranted, are always most appreciated. Before or after you ACCEPT, I will be happy to answer any additional follow-up questions you may have. Thanks again for using our service.

If you'd like to contact me again, in the future, just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question.