Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I purchased a home last year for 207,000 so I promptly went

I purchased a home last year for 207,000 so I promptly went to tax office to get that value for property tax . I.m over 65 and this is my homestead. They have sent a new appraisal notice of a 44,000. increase ($251,026). How can they get by with that large of increase?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

If you disagree with the appraisal district's value or any action of the appraisal district about your property, you may file a protest with the appraisal review board (ARB). In most cases, you have until May 31 or 30 days from the date the appraisal district notice is delivered - whichever date is later. You will need to act fast and get this filed.

Most appraisal district offices will meet with you informally to review your protest to try to solve problems.

Contact your tax office and advise them that you wish to protest the appraisal. They will then tell you if your county follows the informal procedure or if you will need to formally file the protest.