Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I am an artist and have just moved to WV and I would like to

I am an artist and have just moved to WV and I would like to do some art and craft shows.
Do I need a state ID number and collect WV tax on what I sell? Please advise.
Dorellis Keigh Earisman, XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Yes - your sales would be subject of sales tax.

The Consumers Sales and Service Tax Act imposes a duty on vendors to collect a tax from consumers and remit all receipts from this tax to the Department of Tax and Revenue. The seller collects the tax due from the purchaser at the time of sale unless the purchaser presents the seller with a properly executed exemption certificate or a direct pay permit number.

You do need to register - <table border="0">TSD-360 Registration Procedures for Businesses

Here are sales tax forms -

Here is the publication -

Let me know if you need any help.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What tax form and/or application form do I need to fill out in order to do a craft show in

Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.

Any person who is engaging in any business activity in the State of West Virginia must register with the West Virginia State Tax Department before commencing business activities in this State.

You are not required to register if you engage solely in occasional or casual sales.

To register with the West Virginia State Tax Department, you must complete the Application for Registration Certificate (Form WV/BUS-APP).

You may also register online at

This application can be obtained by writing the West Virginia State Tax Department in care of our Taxpayer Services Division, P.O.

Box 3784, Charleston, West Virginia 25337-3784 or by calling our automated form ordering system at (304) 344-2068_ or 1-800-422-2075_.

The form is also available here -

Instructions -

Let me know if you need any help.