Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Tax Attorney
Experience:  Experienced Tax Attorney
19305272

Is there a statute of limitations in Washington DC to collect

Is there a statute of limitations in Washington DC to collect sales tax or paying use tax. We invoiced a client for Nov 08 tax and they said they don't have to pay as it is outside of the statute of limitations.
Thanks.

Hello, I will be happy to assist you. After receiving your answer, please do not forget to click the green "accept" button. Although you have made a deposit (or are a subscriber), I cannot receive credit for my work without your accept.

If a return was filed, assessment of taxes can only occur within three years of the date of return (generally speaking). Thus, the statute of limitations has most likely passed, although there are always exceptions to the general rule (and those generally apply in cases where there is tax fraud involved).

I believe I have answered your question. However, it's possible I misunderstood your question and didn't provide an adequate answer or failed to fully address your question. If that's the case, please let me know you need clarification. Otherwise, please click the green "accept" button.

If you later open a new question and would like my assistance, please begin the question with "To TMcJD...." This will ensure that only I answer the question.