How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1543
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a NH resident with maine wages. I also receive a federal

Resolved Question:

I am a NH resident with maine wages. I also receive a federal retirement pension which should not be taxed by Maine. Worksheet B should I list none where it asks for any pensions or should my gross federal pension amount be listed there? I am filling out Schedule NR and my federal pension appears to be taxed the way I completed Worksheet B.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 5 years ago.

Arthur Rubin :

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Arthur Rubin :

You enter the "taxable" amount (1040 line 16b, not line 16a) in Worksheet B line 9 columns A and D. It's not taxed by Maine, but it's used to compute your Maine tax. Almost all states with a state income tax calculate the state tax on your world-wide income (adjusted for state law), and charge you the proportion of that tax due to income associated with the state. Your pension income increases the world-wide income and the tax so calculated, but reduces the proportion, leading to a small increase in actual tax paid.


Thank you. I am certainly not happy about paying taxes on a pension totally separate from maine wages and the small increase noted about is over $1000 which I owe Maine now. I moved out of Maine because of all the taxes they burden residents with, and I still can't get away from them. Sorry for blowing off steam and it isn't directed at you! Thanks again.

Arthur Rubin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions