Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

Customer Question

I am a member of a LLC in West Virginia and I received a Schedule K-1 this year. When I asked the CPA who prepared the taxes for the corporation for a copy of the Partner's return, I was told they would not provide me a copy without the consent of the Board of the corporation I belong to. My question is whether the CPA is obligated to provide me a copy under the tax law?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
The CPA is obligated to provide the copy of the tax return to the partnership - but is not obligated to provide copies to partners.
That is up to the partnership if they what to provide provide documents to partners.
So the CPA is correct - the CPA provides services to teh LLC - not to members.
You need to request a copy - not from the CPA - but from the officer of the LLC who is in charge of financial matters.