Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

NYS tax form IT-201, itemized deduction worksheet, line i,

NYS tax form IT-201, itemized deduction worksheet, line i, asks for any state, local, or foreign income tax. If I am only dealing with state tax what are they looking for here? State tax owed for this year (I dunno, I haven't finished filling out the form yet!), state tax withheld this year? State tax paid last year? It is not very clear what they want here.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

LEV :

In your New York State itemized deduction worksheet line (i) is dealing with amounts your PAID in during 2011 - you need to take that amount from your federal tax returns - schedule A line 5.

LEV :

That is not the amount of state tax you OWE - but PAID with your W2's and other payments.
Other payments - you might have them or not - include - state tax due for 2010 paid in 2011, estimate tax payments during 2011, ets.

LEV :

Let me know if you need any help.

Customer:

So, in my case, it is the state tax withheld. Correct? (I did not pay any estimated tax this year, and got a refund last year.)

LEV :

Yes - - you will find that amount on W2 form

LEV :

Or better - on federal schedule A line 5.