geedubya55, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  17 years experience in business and individual taxation specializing in small business and farming

My daughter worked for 3 weeks for a company and received a

My daughter worked for 3 weeks for a company and received a 1099-MISC form for the monies she received for her work.
She normally fills out a form 1040-EZ since she's been a student up until last year and she still lives at home.
Does she just take the compensation listed on form 1099-MISC and enter that amount on line 1 of form 1040-EZ and attach form 1099-MISC to form 1040-EZ like she would a W-2?

Thank you for using Just Answer.

She will not be able to use 1040-EZ to file because they have paid her as if she owns her own business. She will need to file a form 1040 and attach a Schedule C (or Schedule C-EZ) to report the income from the 1099. You will also be able to deduct any expenses that were incurred to earn that income; such as mileage, supplies, etc. The net income from Schedule C flows to line 12 of the 1040.

The down side of this situation is that the income from a business is also subject to self-employment tax. If she earned more than $400 after expenses, she will need to attach form SE to calculate the self-employment tax. The self-employment tax is reported on line 56 of the 1040.