geedubya55, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  17 years experience in business and individual taxation specializing in small business and farming

Hi, do I need to file both my 1120S corporate taxes along with

Hi, do I need to file both my 1120S corporate taxes along with my personal taxes? Or can they be filed separately?

This year I am anticipating a corporate loss and don't know how that impacts my personal tax return.
Category: Tax
Expert:  geedubya55 replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Corporation tax returns should be filed separately from your personal tax return. However, since the corporation files an 1120S, it means that the income or loss from the corporation flows through to your personal tax return. As part of the 1120S, the corporation prepares a schedule K-1 to show each shareholder their share of the income or loss from the corporation. Then the shareholder takes the number from the K-1 and includes it on Schedule E, page 2 on the personal return.

Generally, a loss flowing from the corporation to your personal return will reduce your income on your personal return, resulting in lower taxable income. However there are some exceptions to the general rule if you have a basis limitation, at-risk limitation, or passive loss limitation.