Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

What are the rules of gifting? I can gift $11,000 - 12,000

What are the rules of gifting? I can gift $11,000 - 12,000 annually to each of my children which I should be able to deduct yearly and not be taxed on it. My accountant says I can deduct it after I die. I say that won't benefit ME. My CPA does nothing at all with it. How can it be deducted when I die if nobody is documenting it yearly? Please send me the rules of gifting.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Good afternoon. Each donor can give $13,000 per year per person under the annual gift exclusion. In addition to that, each person has a $5,000,000 lifetime exemption....which means a person can give a cumulative amount of up to $5,000,000 in gifts without incurring gift tax....the donor must file a gift tax return to let the IRS know how much of the lifetime exemption is being used, but there will be no gift tax until cumulative gifts have exceeded the $5,000,000. Any portion of the $5,000,000 that is unused at death is exempt from estate tax.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.