Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My husband and I got married in Dec 2011. We are about to

My husband and I got married in Dec 2011.
We are about to file his 2011 taxes (married but filing single) and its asking for my social security number. I dont have one yet because we are still going through the status adjustment process. Can I use my alien number? The page would not proceed without my SSN.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Without your SSN - you will not be able to file electronically - and may only print and mail the tax return to the IRS.
You may not use your Alien number in place of SSN - if you do so - the tax return will be rejected.
There is no such status "married but filing single" - the status your spouse should use is "married filing separate (MFS) - however with such status - many tax deductions and credits are disallowed.
You may consider to file a joint tax return - if you do so - you both will be treated as US residents for the whole 2011 tax year.
Since your immigration status is still in process - and you are not eligible for SSN - you may apply for ITIN.
If you decide to do so - you may file your tax return and an application for ITIN together.

Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
IS IT OK FOR HIM TO FILE AS SINGLE EVEN THOUGH WE GOT MARRIED LATE 2011?
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.
As long as he was married on the last day of the year - for tax purposes - he is treated as married for the whole year - and he may not use Single as his filing status.
He may only use a filing status "married filing separate (MFS) or "married filing jointly (MFJ).
Let me know if you need any help.