Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

On schedule A there is a place to deduct state income taxes

On schedule A there is a place to deduct state income taxes paid. Do I need to have documentation for amts I report in that space ? My W-2 does not show any state income taxes paid because I did not have any withheld. But I am sending a check for what I owe with my state tax return.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
On schedule A -
you report your state income tax paid in 2011 on line 5 - and need to check the box 1(a).
You report state income taxes paid - both withheld from paychecks and paid directly - during 2011.
If you are sending a check for what you owe with your state tax return NOW - that amount will be deducted on your 2012 tax return.
However - if you paid your state tax liability in 2011 with your 2010 tax return - that amount may be deducted on your 2011 tax return.

You do not need to send any documentation with your tax return.
However - in case of audit - you should be able to provide documents to support the amount you deducted.

Let me know if you need help with reporting.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, that's very clear.
Thank goodness. At first they said my question was being reviewed by Ron the Ford certified Automotive Service Technician. I was starting to get worried : )
You probably put your question into incorrect category... but eventually - it was redirected properly - so that is not an issues - but might took some time...
I am glad to be helpful.
Let me know if you will need help with other tax related issues.