Charles Markham
Charles Markham, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  IRS Enrolled Agent, US Tax Court Practitioner

It is my understanding that mandatory New York State SDI/SUI

It is my understanding that mandatory New York State SDI/SUI withholding tax is deductible for federal income tax purposes as a tax. I know the amount from my pay advice for 2011, but it is not shown on my W2. How do I enter the NY SDI/SUI in Turbotax so that it is reflected properly for both federal and NYS purposes? If I enter it as a NY State withholding tax, the state income tax shown as a federal deduction on Form 1040 Schedule A is correct, but then Turbotax incorrectly shows it as NYS income tax withheld on the New York State return (IT-201). If I enter it in Turbotax as a state withholding tax but do not specify the state, then Turbotax flags this as an error and requires that I enter the state. (Obviously, if I do not enter the SDI at all, then I do not get the federal tax deduction!)
Category: Tax
Expert:  Charles Markham replied 4 years ago.

TaxWhisperer :

You enter NY SDI in box 14. There'

TaxWhisperer :

is a drop down menu on Box 14 of the W-2, and you will see the NY there. Locate it and enter the amount there. It will handled correctly on IRS Sched A and will be disregarded on NY.

Thank you. I did a doubletake when I looked at the hard copyW-2 again and actually saw the SDI in that box (in very small print!). When I entered it that way into Turbotax, it worked.