winktax
winktax, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18 years experience as an Enrolled Agent, insurance agent, stock broker and financial advisor.
63158134

Hello, Can you comment on the use of estimates, source of

Can you comment on the use of estimates, source of goodwill?

Thank you
Category: Tax
Expert:  winktax replied 5 years ago.

winktax :

In general an estimated value can be used to allocate the purchase price of intangible assets that are not specifically identified. ie. allocation between goodwill, convent not to compete, customer list etc.

winktax :

The overall process of breaking down the value of an asset acquisition is outlined in IRC 1060, also Form 8594 - Asset acquisition Statement provides instructions as to the proper allocation of asset values from Class 1 assets (cash, general deposit accounts), Class 2 assets (traded personal property) to Class VII assets ( Goodwill, going concern value, Section 197 intangibles)

winktax :

I hope the above answers your question. If so please click the accept button. Otherwise please provide additional information and or clarifying questions so that I can provide a more specific answer.

Customer:

Customer:

Can you give me some of sources?

Customer:

Thank you.

winktax :

Major general source of instructions are Form 8594 - Asset acquisition statement under section 1060 - http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8594/index.html