Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.

For 2011, my itemized deductions exceeds the incomes taxes

Customer Question

For 2011, my itemized deductions exceeds the incomes taxes I paid. Can I apply the overage to my tax liabiblity for 2012, or does the excess deduction kind of disappear? Thanks for your help. Phil XXXX
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 4 years ago.

Arthur Rubin :

I'm afraid it depends on the source of the itemized deductions.

Arthur Rubin :

In general, if both your net income (AGI less itemized deductions) and your "business net income" ("business" income less "business" deductions) are both negative, the lesser loss can be carried over as a Net Operating Loss (NOL).

Arthur Rubin :

For Federal purposes, the default is that the loss can be carried back 2 years, and then forward for some number of years until used up, although you can elect (on a timely filed return) to forgo the carryback.