socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I have a tax question concerning an offer in compromise for

I have a tax question concerning an offer in compromise for the state of Utah.
In making an offer in compromise to the IRS the IRS allows one to use IRS allowed standards without providing proof of actual expenses. How does the state of Utah work? If a family has 4 members can they elect to use IRS allowed expenses for the state of Utah OIC for items like food, medical, etc? Or does the state of Utah require actual expenses?
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.
You appear to have asked this question twice. Are you looking for a second opinion?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Strange. The question I thought I had typed was whether or not a dependent's social security income had to be counted as part of the taxpayer's income.
I'll take that as a "yes."

I have searched substantially all of the Utah Code, case law, Administrative Code and Tax Administration publications, bulletins, etc., and I cannot find a single word about the use of the IRS allowed expenses tables in constructing an offer in compromise. The state tax booklet on OICs suggests that each expense must be accompanied by a statement justifying that expense. It would seem to me a pretty reasonable justification that the expense is no more than what the IRS would allow in its own OICs. However, the "justification" language also suggests that Utah tax examiners are willing to entertain justifications that would not meet the IRS requirements -- otherwise, the booklet would flatly state that the IRS allowed expense requirements must be followed.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate the public about the law. Please help me in this effort by clicking Accept for my Answer to your Question. If you have a subscription account, clicking Accept does not create any additional charge. It merely gets me credit for my Answer.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION.