DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Years of Experience in Business & Personal Taxes
50747609

Benton Company (BC) has one owner, who is in the 35% Federal

Customer Question

Benton Company (BC) has one owner, who is in the 35% Federal income tax bracket.
BC’s gross income is $295,000, and its ordinary trade or business deductions are $135,000.

Compute the tax liability on BC’s income for 2011 under the following assumptions:

a. BC is operated as a proprietorship, and the owner withdraws $70,000 for personal use.

b. BC is operated as a corporation, pays out $70,000 as salary, and pays no dividends to its shareholder.

c. BC is operated as a corporation, pays out no salary or dividends to its shareholder.

d. BC is operated as a corporation, pays out $70,000 as salary to its shareholder, and pays out the remainder of its earnings as dividends.
Category: Tax
Expert:  DanielleCPA replied 2 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer! I'm happy to help with your tax questions. Feel free to interject at any time if you need clarification.

Net income is $160,000 (295,000-135,000).

A) I am making two assumptions here. 1) I am excluding self-employment tax (if I should include, let me know). 2) I am assuming the owner is already in the 35% bracket with his other income, so all of the business income is taxed at 35%. That being said, 35% tax on $160,000 is $56,000. All tax is paid at the owner's personal level - so no corporate tax.

B ) Net income here would be $90,000. Tax would be calculated as follows based on corporate tax brackets:

50,000 *15% = 7,500

25,000 * 25% = 6,250

15,000 * 34% = 5,100

So, total corporate tax would be $18,850.

The owner would also need to pay tax on his $70,000 salary at 35%, so $24,500.

C) Net income would be $160,000. Tax would be calculated as follows based on corporate tax brackets"

50,000 *15% = 7,500

25,000 * 25% = 6,250

25,000 * 34% = 8,500

60,000 * 39% = 23,400

Total corporate tax = $45,650

D) Corporate tax would be $18,850 (same as in B).

The owner would still owe $24,500 in tax on his 70,000 salary (calculated in B)

The dividends would be taxed at qualified dividends rates, currently 15% - so he would owe an additional $13,500 (90,000 dividend * 15%) on the individual level.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I agree with #a... I have the same answers

#b - I got the same for owner tax

Don't we have to ignore: PLEASE CONFIRM

any corporate taxes

any state income tax on either the corporation or the individual.

Payroll taxes savings

#C - Robert will pay no personal income tax because he took no salary or dividends from the corporation. Please confirm.

If you have to ignore the items listed, your answer to C would be correct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

50,000 *15% = 7,500

25,000 * 25% = 6,250

15,000 * 34% = 5,100

Do you mind explaining this to me? Why did you split the income and used 3 different Tax Rates?

Corporate tax rates, just like individual tax rates, are tiered. Tax rates only apply to income that falls within a particular tax rate. E.g. if you are in the 25% tax bracket, all of your income is not taxed at the 25% rate, only the portion that exceeds the bottom of that tax bracket.

Corporate tax brackets are as follows:

$0-$50,000 - 15%

$50,000-75,000 - 25%

$75,000 - $100,000 - 34%

$100,000 - 335,000 - 39%

So, because only the portion of income that falls within a particular tax bracket is taxed at a particular rate, we need to break down to calculate. The first $50K is taxed at 15%, the next 25,000 at 25%, and the remaining $15K is taxed at 34%.

Experience: Years of Experience in Business & Personal Taxes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I got it now. I found the Corporate Income Tax Rates and can clearly see what you explained.

Thanks

I am still reviewing this problem and your solutions so perhaps I am not ready to accept the answer.

Thanks for your understanding.

I understand you want to make sure you get the right answer. Take your time.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for being so patience with me and answering all my questions.

I just finished reviewing this problem throughly and all your answers which were very helpful. Thanks to your help it was easy for me to understand it.

You're welcome! I was glad to help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Already accepted answer and paid a tip!

Thanks

Thank you