Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent
Experience:  MTax, EA, QuickBooks Proadvisor. Over 15 years accounting and tax experience specializing in individual and small business.

My 89 year old great uncle has resided in a nursing home for

My 89 year old great uncle has resided in a nursing home for the last 2 years since he has had several strokes and is unable to care for himself. The accountant that has done his prior taxes states that what he privately pays to the nursing home is not tax deductable. Is this correct?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephanie B. replied 4 years ago.

Stephanie B. :

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Nursing home expenses are a medical deduction if he is there because he needs medical care. If he is there for personal reasons, the only portion that is deductible is the portion for medical or nursing care. The nursing home can give you a letter that states the amount that you paid which is considered medical/nursing care.

Here is a link to the IRS publication for itemized deductions. Page 12 discussing nursing homes and nursing care.

If this answers your question, please click the accept button as this is the only way we get paid for the assistance we provide to you.

If you need more clarification, please let me know. If I am not available at the time, I will be.

I appreciate the opportunity to assist you and I look forward to your response.